New PKGBUILD for consideration "ttf-apple"
a***@public.gmane.org
2013-01-17 15:38:52 UTC
Hello,

I was messing around with my fonts today and decided to get some new
ones. There are several packages of apple fonts on the AUR but I had
issues with some of the fonts not being recognised by LibreOffice (due
to it seemingly being unable to read ttc - truetype font collection -
files) so I thought I'd fix that issue and bring the various font
collections together into a single package for my own use, but I
wondered if this sort of thing would be useful to others.

The pkgbuild is below. Let me know if I should upload this package.

Thanks.

# Maintainer: John Lane <archlinux at jelmail dot com>
# Based on ttf-mac by Guten Ye
(https://github.com/GutenYe/aur/tree/master/ttf-mac)
# ttf-mac-fonts by Shanto (at hotmail.com)
# macfonts by Erus <erus.iluvatar-***@public.gmane.org>

# This packages Apple font packs obtained from multiple
# sources. Where the same font is in multiple packs,
# this package will contain the one from the last pack
# processed.

pkgname=ttf-apple
pkgver=0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='A collection of Apple Mac/OS X TrueType fonts'
arch=('any')
url='http://www.apple.com/osx/'
license=('custom')
depends=('fontconfig')
makedepends=('subversion' 'fondu' 'fontforge')
conflicts=('ttf-mac-fonts' 'ttf-mac' 'macfonts')
provides=('ttf-mac-fonts' 'ttf-mac' 'macfonts')
install='install'

source=(http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz
http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA)

md5sums=('4f84a9630c3c8faf1f4ba8ea075108bc'
'e185688cf54a2f2020a4bc071316b67b')

build() {

# font pack from
https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts
svn co
https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts
"$srcdir/macbunt
u"

# font pack from
http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz
cd "$srcdir/ttf-mac-fonts"
fondu -force *.dfont
for ttc in *.ttc; do
ttf=${ttc%.*}.ttf
[[ -f $ttf ]] || FONTFORGE_LANGUAGE=ff fontforge -c 'Open($1);
Generate($2)' $ttc $ttf
done
}

package() {

# font pack from http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA
cd "$srcdir/macfonts"
install -d $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/{TTF,Type1}
install *.ttf $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/TTF
install *.PFB $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/Type1

# font pack from
https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts
cd "$srcdir/macbuntu"
install -d $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/{TTF,Type1}
install gbk/*.ttf $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/TTF
install mac/*.ttf $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/TTF
install mac/*.pfb $pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/Type1

# font pack from
http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz
cd "$srcdir/ttf-mac-fonts"
install -dm755 "$pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
install -m644 *.ttf *.ttc "$pkgdir/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
}
Daniel Wallace
2013-01-17 16:01:10 UTC
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
[...]
Don't just svn checkout, please follow the prototype in /usr/share/pacman/PKGBUILD-svn.proto from the abs package
- --
Sent from my Android Phone.
Daniel Wallace
Arch Linux Trusted User
GTManfred
a***@public.gmane.org
2013-01-17 20:27:51 UTC
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
[...]
I've done that, thanks. It's interesting that it drives the version
number. That doesn't strictly relate to the package as it's a collection
of things from various places. Also curious how this would have worked
had there been two svn checkouts (luckily only one of the 3 items in the
package came from svn).

But anyway, I've updated my pkgbuild.
Daniel Wallace
2013-01-17 20:30:08 UTC
-
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA)
md5sums=('4f84a9630c3c8faf1f4ba8ea075108bc'
'e185688cf54a2f2020a4bc071316b67b')
build() {
# font pack from
https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts
svn co
https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts
"$srcdir/macbunt
u"
# font pack from
http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz
cd "$srcdir/ttf-mac-fonts"
fondu -force *.dfont
for ttc in *.ttc; do
ttf=${ttc%.*}.ttf
[[ -f $ttf ]] || FONTFORGE_LANGUAGE=ff fontforge -c
'Open($1);
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
Generate($2)' $ttc $ttf
done
}
[...]
This will all be changed when pacman 4.1 finally gets tagged, where you will be able to include svn, git, hg, etc repositories in the source array
- --
Sent from my Android Phone.
Daniel Wallace
Arch Linux Trusted User
GTManfred
Kirill Churin
2013-01-18 08:04:47 UTC
aur/tree/master/ttf-mac<https://github.com/GutenYe/aur/tree/master/ttf-mac>
)
ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz<http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz>
http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA)
md5sums=('**4f84a9630c3c8faf1f4ba8ea075108**bc'
'**e185688cf54a2f2020a4bc071316b6**7b')
build() {
# font pack from https://macbuntu.svn.**sourceforge.net/svnroot/**
macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts<https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts>
svn co https://macbuntu.svn.**sourceforge.net/svnroot/**
macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts<https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts>"$srcdir/macbunt
u"
# font pack from http://invisible-files.**googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-*
[...]
So one can easily pirate Apple fonts now? Nicely done!
--
Kirill Churin
Jabber: reflexing-2lK+EiK+***@public.gmane.org
Martín Cigorraga
2013-01-20 02:58:25 UTC
Post by Kirill Churin
--
Kirill Churin
If this is a legal download I'm utmost interested in installing and trying
this package.
Kirill Churin
2013-01-20 04:27:03 UTC
No, it is not. It's illegal to redistribute Apple fonts, just like
Microsoft fonts. I'm the maintainer of the ttf-ms-win8 and did some
research on that. AUR package should not contain download links for such
fonts, take a look how I did it for my package.

This package source links:
http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA — illegal
http://invisible-**files.googlecode.com/files/**ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz<http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz>

illegal
https://macbuntu.svn.**sourceforge.net/svnroot/**macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts<https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts>

illegal

On the other way, the approach of
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tt/ttf-mac-fonts/PKGBUILD and
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tt/ttf-mac/PKGBUILD is good. No sources
in AUR.

So one definetely should merge and rework them to provide great Apple fonts
package, but I don't have Mac and cannon do it myself.
Limao Luo
2013-01-20 05:06:56 UTC

Post by Kirill Churin
--
Kirill Churin
If this is a legal download I'm utmost interested in installing and trying
this package.
Wait, what? Direct links are illegal, but an svn checkout to the same
Macbuntu repo is legal? Am I missing something?
Kirill Churin
2013-01-20 05:40:18 UTC
Post by Limao Luo
Wait, what? Direct links are illegal, but an svn checkout to the same
Macbuntu repo is legal? Am I missing something?
Of course not! Just overlooked it. :)
Xyne
2013-01-20 08:45:19 UTC
Post by Kirill Churin
No, it is not. It's illegal to redistribute Apple fonts, just like
Microsoft fonts.
The PKGBUILD does not contain the fonts so it is not distribution. The fonts
are downloaded directly by the user when the package is built. Unless the
source of those files is somehow illegal (e.g. privately hosted non-free files
that the host may not legally distribute) then there is no problem.

Regards,
Xyne
Kirill Churin
2013-01-20 08:55:46 UTC
Post by Xyne
Post by Kirill Churin
No, it is not. It's illegal to redistribute Apple fonts, just like
Microsoft fonts.
The PKGBUILD does not contain the fonts so it is not distribution. The fonts
are downloaded directly by the user when the package is built. Unless the
source of those files is somehow illegal (e.g. privately hosted non-free files
that the host may not legally distribute) then there is no problem.
Regards,
Xyne
Aren't mentioned links "privately hosted non-free files
a***@public.gmane.org
2013-01-20 11:25:29 UTC
Ok, thanks for the feedback, and it's what I assumed would be the case
and my reason for asking. I did wonder why there were packages in the
AUR that linked to content without, apparently, having appropriate
Post by Xyne
The PKGBUILD does not contain the fonts so it is not distribution. The
fonts are downloaded directly by the user when the package is built.
Unless the source of those files is somehow illegal (e.g. privately
hosted non-free files that the host may not legally distribute) then
there is no problem. Regards, Xyne
A PKGBUILD may link to legal sources, so for an Apple font package to be
legal, its sources must be. I get that. But the sources I used are those
in use by packages already in AUR so, if they aren't legal sources, this
would make the existing AUR packages (macfonts and ttf-mac-fonts) bad
too, right ?
Post by Xyne
http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA — illegal
http://invisible-**files.googlecode.com/files/**ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz<http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz>

illegal
https://macbuntu.svn.**sourceforge.net/svnroot/**macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts<https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts>

illegal
1. http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA

This is from package 'macfonts' in the AUR. From what I can tell it
originated from http://ubuntu-debs.googlecode.com/files/macfonts.tar.gz
via http://korben.info//des-polices-mac-sur-ubuntu.html who copied it
onto a file host at http://ompldr.org/vNXFlNA. The source at
http://ubuntu-debs.googlecode.com is no longer available.

2. http://invisible-files.googlecode.com/files/ttf-mac-fonts.tar.gz

This is indirectly from package 'ttf-mac' in the AUR. It isn't in the
package itself but is directly linked from the URL given in the
PKGBUILD's 'pkgdesc' entry
(https://github.com/GutenYe/aur/tree/master/ttf-mac: at the bottom,
there is a link "Wow, It's too complex, it there a easy way? sure, you
can find a download link at
http://code.google.com/p/invisible-files/downloads/list").

3. https://macbuntu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/macbuntu/Macbuntu/fonts

This is from package 'ttf-mac-fonts' in the AUR. This one presents the
"Safari For Windows" license as applicable to this which I doubt is
relevant.

I would say that, from a legality viewpoint, package 'ttf-mac' is the
cleanest as it doesn't install anything without additional work on
behalf of the user to provide licensed content themselves (although it
does indirectly link to a dubious way of obtaining that content). The
other, however, I would suggest are somewhat dubious and should,
perhaps, be removed?

As I can't vouch for the sources used by the AUR packages that I based
my package on, I won't publish my package to the AUR.

Many thanks for your comment and apologies if I've opened a can of worms ;)
John